As of this time last year, I had written this fantastic list of goals to achieve for my 29th year on this planet. Let us review it for a moment…
- Run in 30 different races.- Hmm… I ran 3
- Run in a half marathon.- Nope
- Run a 10k in under an hour.- Not quite, BUT, I did run my FIRST 10k
- Take a trip outside of Vermont.-Yes! We drove from VT to Wyoming on our honeymoon! A 2 week wild west adventure.
- Take Matthew to Assateague Island. Seriously. Best place on earth.-Went to Wall, SD instead- also am amazing place- check it out!
- Hike and Thru-Hike for at least a week.-I did a lot of day hikes, but no overnights yet.
- Family trip to Acadia.-Nope
- Get another tattoo.-This month, and ON my birthday! So this will count!
- Maintain the highest grades at my College. (For myself, lets not be crazy)- 3.3, not upset.
- Visit all 106 covered bridges in Vermont.-I drove over the normal amount in my life. I’ll keep in on my bucket list.
- Become financially secure (adult like) and pay off my house loan.-No- but we moved and bought a real house so now we have an even bigger loan!
- Go to the Planetarium in Northern Vermont.-Bucket list item!
- Take an awesome, all girls trip. (Someplace warm I hope!)-Does my bachelorette party count? We spent the night after an awesome pizza and cake dinner and then hiked up a mountain the next day. We ate oreos at the peak and had a beer in the parking lot afterwards. I count this one as a big win.
- Vacation with Matthew, my step-mom and younger brothers.-This summer I have my heart set on a camping trip
- Hike all of the Vermont tallest mountains.-I think I got 1 done. Onto the NY ranges!
- Become a NH48 member, with Sirius. (http://www.amc4000footer.org/)-We will work on NY this summer.
- Visit all of the Vermont towns.-Proved an interesting challenge to keep track of. Not giving up on this one, just re-evaluating
- Teach yoga again, renew my registration.-I am not teaching, but I am working at a studio at the front desk. I have started taking classes again and it feels good to be in the presence of yoga.
- Help 30 dogs find forever homes. (http://www.longtraildogs.org/)-About 5 fosters and a few more with transport!
- Ski outside of Vermont.-I SKIED AT SONG MOUNTAIN! IT WAS KILLER!
- Learn how to make bagels.-I STILL HAVE TIME!
- See a live filming of Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me.-Those tickets sell fast! I’m trying for a summer show this year.
- Spartan Sprint at Killington, in 4-hours or less. (http://www.spartan.com/en/race/detail/841/overview)-We moved to NY so I didn’t bother- i’m all over 2017!
- Share new bagel making skill with family.-See #21 update
- Have a lunch adventure in the Southern most town of Vermont.-No
- Visit Dog Mountain. (http://www.dogmt.com/)-Summer VT hopefully
- See DMB live at SPAC with Matthew.-How about this shit- DMB isn’t touring anymore?! Dave and Tim are playing this summer but who knows…
- Camp and visit the Wild Center- do the Wild Walk. (http://www.wildcenter.org/)-Summer 2017! Our honeymoon was to all encompassing
- Spend and entire day at a state park, swimming and eating a picnic.-Lots of all day adventures at Kingsland Bay<3
- Go on a sunset cruise on our local lake. (http://www.soea.com/daily-cruises/)-Maybe they have some Syracuse ones?
I remember writing this and feeling so unstoppable. So ready to take on my life and conquer all these outrageous goals.
In the year, we got married (June), went on a 2 week honeymoon from Vermont to Wyoming and back (August). We moved to Syracuse (October), bought our first house(December), and started new jobs (October). My list got pushed to the back and forgotten about. Admittedly, I made myself forget about it because it seemed if I couldn’t accomplish 30 things that I love doing in 365 days, what on earth would I be able to do with the rest of my life.
Obviously none of that self doubt is true. Life is about being adaptable and loving and finding the uniqueness and challenges that are presented and just working them into your hopes and dreams. I try not to have “plans” because we feel disappointment when plans go wrong. I try to have ideas and dreams and visions. Hopes of what I might be able to do with my talents, and people I may be able to help with my love.
So, in honor of my plans, my ambitions, my dreams and those things that will be moved to my bucket list- here are 31 things i’d like to do before my next birthday.
1. Organize my bills
2. Set up my courses for these next 2 semesters.
3. File my taxes, because I am married now it is super annoying
4. Finish unpacking the house, like taxes, super annoying
5. Start coaching kids NoBo!
6. Start participating in NoBo, but actually go
7. Start, and finish my first half marathon (April 23, 2017)
8. Sign up for my second half marathon
9. Take a trip to Chicago to see my best friends first child
10. Learn to make good brownies- no joke- I can bake anything, except brownies.
11. De-clutter house, one room at a time
12. Make a house cleaning chart for monthly breakdowns
13. Organize office
14. Attend a doula workshop
15. Find a job in Syracuse I can feel accomplished at
16. Read 5 more new books
17. Train for first full marathon
18. Take my test for TA certification level 1
19. Build outdoor dog potty box for easy maintenance
20. Go to the dentist
21. Go to a regular doctor, find a regular doctor and then go. Being an adult means you just never go to the doctors because your parents never made the appointment
22. Hang out with new Syracuse friends
23. Hike in 5 new places in Central New York
24. Hike 2 of the tallest peaks in Vermont
25. Hike 1 of the tallest peaks in New York
26. Fix guest bedroom windows
27. Plant flower beds in front lawn
28. Organize bathroom shelving
29. Try a new class, or group
30. Killington Spartan Sprint
31. Practice Ahimsa.
What I learned from my 2016 list is that my goals were perfect, but if I have a job, I should pick small goals to mix in with my large ones. A few big mountains mixed in with a few domestic bliss items- adds for a perfect combination.
As for Ahmisa- look it up, you might want to add it to your list too.